Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Thorpe Park Followed By a Stint in Scotland

It’s fair to say that I’ve been all over the country this weekend. I am writing this entry from the comfort of a frankly incredible hotel in Scotland and have gone from being completely exhausted to totally relaxed in a short matter for a few hours. This weekend I was torn between attending Thorpe Park with my friends from home, plus coming along to my cousin’s wedding do in Edinburgh. I decided that although family matters should take top priority, I couldn’t pass up on the chance to go to Thorpe Park with my friends, so I decided to do both instead.

For those of you who haven’t visited it yet, Thorpe Park is great fun. Over the past decade, the park has exploded in popularity, going from have a modest few rides with a couple of big ones, to a place that draws in almost two million visitors per year. Being the hardcore adrenaline junkies that they are, my friends wanted to ignore all of the smaller rides and stay on the faster, scarier ones all day long. Of course, I had no problem with this, but it meant going from up to an hour of queuing to being on a ride, followed by more queuing again, for about six hours solid. This was, predictably, absolutely exhausting, and I knew that I had to leave the park at about 6 pm in order to start the drive to Scotland. It was absolutely knackering and I could feel myself wanting to drift off at least once on the drive up there, but the fact that my cousin had booked us into one of the best spa breaks in Scotland kept me going, as I knew I was in for a relaxing experience on the other side.

Thinking about it though, it probably wasn’t the smartest of ideas to try and do the journey in one long stint like that. If I could have timed the whole thing better, I would have rather stayed the night in Staines or Egham in a Thorpe Park hotel to make sure that I was alert and refresh enough to make the drive to Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment